This can be seen in the form of flooded basements, broken pipes, leaking appliances, and sewer backups. There is not much of a time window for dealing with water damage because mould, structural problems, and safety hazards can start to appear even before experts arrive. So what preventive methods can you take when dealing with water damage restoration. This article will discuss exactly that. Let's dive in.
1. Protecting yourself and your valuables.When a water damage disaster occurs, the first thing you need to do is to make sure you and your family are safe. Therefore, there are certain actions you need to take right off the bat in such a situation.
First, you need to turn off the power because water and electricity together are a potential hazard. However, if this action requires you to move into a flooded area, we highly recommend calling an electrician. Do not enter a flooded area at all costs when the power is on.
Secondly, when entering the flooded area, you should wear protective clothing like rubber gloves and boots. This protects you from injuries that the bacteria can worsen in the dirty flooded water.
Lastly, you want to make sure your valuables are safe. Removing expensive rugs and carpets should be done to prevent water damage. However, you mustn't enter a badly flooded house as this may be dangerous.
2. Prepare for flood insurance claims.Now that you have ensured everything is safe, it is time to prepare for insurance claims if you have flood insurance. You will want to contact your insurance adjuster as soon as possible so that they can come and assess the damage and decide if it is covered. But the work doesn't end there. Leaving your home the way it is is not a good idea, and you will want to begin cleanup and salvage immediately.
However, you must take photos as inventory if anything goes amiss. You will want to clean the house so that the adjuster can arrive and assess the damage. Additionally, you will want to keep any damaged items or materials as proof of any loss you have incurred. If you don't have flood insurance, your loss likely won't be covered. However, if the President declares it a federal disaster, you may be able to get assistance through the official hotline.
3. Take measures to prevent mould.Mould can begin forming only 24 hours after flooding occurs, which is a tiny time window. Once mould forms, it can be tough to remove, so it is best to start taking precautions to deal with it. The way you can do this is to remove as much water as possible and dry quickly. You can do this through various methods like:
- Open flooded walls
- Remove water and ventilate
- Remove baseboards and cut holes to drain uninsulated walls
- Remove web fibrous insulation
- Clean out mud
- Use dehumidifiers and fans to dry rapidly.
However, you must be careful during the drying process to ensure that mould spores do not spread about and get to unaffected areas. Therefore, it is for the best that you call a professional to assist you so that chances of moulding are kept to a minimum.
In conclusionRainfall can cause many problems due to flooding for many homes and vehicle owners due to water damage. This damage can cause quite a bit of distress as it can lead to a considerable loss and may even be hazardous. Therefore, certain precautionary measures are crucial to follow for water damage restoration. We have seen various actions in the article above that you can take to ensure you, your family, and your home are safe. We hope this article proves helpful and implore you to prioritise safety when flooding occurs.